Feb 21st, 2019
We tried not to, but ended up talking about Ryan Adams before digging into practice techniques and other such nonsense. There may have been a little time travel mixed in.
This episode was a reminder that we're not always on the same page and sometimes we do things the others wouldn't do and vice versa, which is fine.
I wonder if anyone ever reads these episode descriptions. If you're reading this, send me a DM on Instagram or Facebook and let me know. This is Aaron, by the way. I'm the one who types these things up. I come up with the titles and post episodes. Sometimes I even do some editing. This was one of those times. I'm not looking for compliments or high fives or whatever. I just don't want you to think I'm someone else.
I'm gonna share a poem with you from the recently deceased Mary Oliver, who was and remains one of my favorites. This one is called "Morning Poem."
by Mary Oliver
Under the orange
sticks of the sun
ashes of the night
turn into leaves again
and fasten themselves to the high branches—
and the ponds appear
like black cloth
on which are painted islands
of summer lilies.
If it is your nature
to be happy
you will swim away along the soft trails
for hours, your imagination
And if your spirit
carries within it
that is heavier than lead—
if it's all you can do
to keep on trudging—
there is still
somewhere deep within you
a beast shouting that the earth
is exactly what it wanted—
each pond with its blazing lilies
is a prayer heard and answered
whether or not
you have ever dared to be happy,
whether or not
you have ever dared to pray.
I hope you enjoyed that as much as I do. I hope one of you cried.
This episode is brought to you by SINASOID. They have amazing cables of all kinds. Check out the signature Slate cable, for all your instrument needs. With the 100 year warranty, it's the last cable you'll ever need to buy. Check them out at www.sinasoid.com
This episode is also sponsored by Pelican Noiseworks. Check out the new Binford 6100 digital multi-effect pedal. It's a great all in one noise solution that can be dialed back for more "standard" sounds as well. And of course, if you don't already have a Pelitaur or Half Horse, your fuzz collection is woefully incomplete. Check it all out at www.pelicannoiseworks.com
This episode is also sponsored by Gunstreet Wiring Shop. Gunstreet makes prewired kits for all kinds of guitars and even does custom orders. Check them out at www.gunstreetwiringshop.com
INTRODUCING Gear Slum Patreon. The Slum Hard Street Crew is now broken into three tiers. Join now for as low as $2/ month. www.patreon.com/thegearslum
- Limited Edition iron on Slum Hard Street Crew Vintage Vision logo patch.
- A bunch of stickers
- The respect and admiration of your peers.
- A personalized, hand-written note from one of the Slummers.
- An episode dedicated to you. If you want, you can even come on and do the opening segment with the three of us. (This will be available to all SHSC members, one at a time). If you don't want to have an episode dedicated to you, we can also dedicate it to your mom, dog, etc.
- Mad props.
- Early access to all future offerings.
- We'll buy you a coffee, beer, or Diet Mt. Dew if we ever see you around town.
- You get to help spread the gospel of Slum all across your town/ the internet.
- Special discount code for certain Sinasoid and Gunstreet products